Thursday, January 24, 2013

The Glistening Whole

I’ve had ‘text’ before – twice actually.  One lasted a total of 6 months, and the other time was for about 3 months.  I’m simple it’s true, but I must admit - I liked it. 

I’ve gotten so use to not having technology distractions in my life down here.  I have this big computer that I use for news and blog posts.  I guess it’s my little window to the outside world. 

I’m not really sure where I’m going with this whole thing other than the fact that I am grateful for the lack of distractions we have here, and I hope I can always remember that about this experience. 

Before coming down here, I envisioned my happy little self embracing a whole new world.  I figured I’d learn the new way of life quickly as I embraced the true adventure we were embarking on.  I pictured myself gathering my little girls around me while I taught them everything good and rich about the world…amidst the little bumps here and there (ha!). 

I read something a few months ago on The Boston Shumway Site (to which I give full credit) about living in a new country, and it’s stuck with me ever since.  The advice was to “live in anticipation of the memory”  because let’s face it, an experience like this is usually “glorious” in retrospect.  Yes, it’s possible to notice an idyllic moment in the moment, but most of the time, experiences in life – in anybody’s life – have a tendency to be mundane, blurry, frustrating, and down right hard. 

The idea though, is to realize that “it’s all part of the adventure.”  It’s all part of “the glistening whole.”  Our life is made up of lots of moments, trials, relationships, experiences, scenes, and situations that when looked at individually, they just don’t make a whole lot of sense. 

But I believe the real author of our lives chooses the individual parts carefully and crafts them to create a beautiful image that when looked at as a whole can be complete, understood, and glistening.  “Sometimes we just need to be (patient) and see them all at once.” 

As we’re approaching the last chapter of our time here, I’m realizing more and more the refining experience this has been for our family, and I’m grateful that even the not-so-little bumps are all part of the “glistening whole” that in the end will create a glorious experience we will cherish forever. 

4 comments:

Julie Jackson said...

Well said! But I must say that I miss texting you. Look forward to that time again. Love you!

Kathryn-nannygoat said...

Has really been over a year and a half since you moved?! We've missed you! I am so amazed by your willingness and courage to do something that is so So SO far out of my comfort zone. I have no doubt that you have blessed many lives there and it will be so nice to have you back here (hopefully?!) sharing your amazing experiences and memories with us! Hugs

Marcie said...

I agree wholeheartedly. Our two years in Seattle were a challenge for me because was Ryan was never home and I had literally no window to the outside world because there was no facebook or blogging then. It was hard, but I really do look back now grateful for the experience and for how much I grew. I made some great friends and we grew so much closer as a family. For some reason I have forgotten a lot of the "less than happy" times and mostly remember the good times. The same will be true for you all, I'm sure.

Steph Thomas said...

I kind of feel like that with delivering a baby. We usually only remember the good, not how bad everything hurt. You guys have had such an amazing experience.