Sunday, June 16, 2013

Reality

Bottom line, sometimes life is hard, and that’s okay.  Reality isn’t always pretty. 

It’s late, and it’s been a long week.  I’ve had bronchitis, and we’ve been battling lice all week long.  Yes – every mother’s worst nightmare lice.  It’s hard to escape lice here.  It’s hard to escape bugs in general here…but we’ve managed…and everything will be okay.  My everything spotless clean self feels pretty defeated here in South America right now.    

Jared has been out-of-town in the desert of North Argentina.  He’s home now, but our phone conversations were broken up through the week as he calmly tried to explain to me how to treat the lice situation with the chemicals he picked up from the pharmacy last December when those pesky bugs paid us a visit before Christmas.  I won’t even begin to explain the process of de-bugging a home - it’s rough.

To make things worse, Gabe crawled on top of the stove’s bottom cupboard flap while I was baking cookies - trying to maintain some sense of normality & ‘home’ through the ongoing lice episode.  He burned the bottom half of both legs – not severely thank heavens – but enough to leave it’s mark for a while.  His crawling hasn’t slowed down much, but he hasn’t been comfortable. 

On top of all that, the movers came in Friday morning and boxed up our life.  We’re living out of suitcases now and doing everything possible to keep the kids entertained and comfortable with the emptiness we feel. 

I’ll never forget what life feels like right now.  It’s as if the page is almost turned over, but not quite…not yet.  The last few sentences still have something to say.  

I feel so much better today after getting on the antibiotic I needed.  Jared & I gave our last Castellano talks in church this morning.  It’s a true miracle that I was able to wake up at 4:30 this morning to really prepare and translate a talk after the week we’ve had.  I felt guidance from above…helping me, and I think that’s exactly why we go through rough weeks - to recognize His hand – to remember the eternal perspective and to appreciate the good days maybe a little bit more than we did before.

7 comments:

Julie said...

Wow! Not sure what to say other than you deserve a medal, and it is way past due that you came back to the United States. It was great talking with you on the phone the other day. Can't believe your time is
finally coming to an end. Your Motto should be, "I Can Do Hard Things." lOVE YA! Mom

Andy's Mom said...

Ooosh, moving limbo. I cringe and I only moved one state south. An international moving limbo without a husband is insanely rough, but added bronchitis, burns, lice, AND speaking in church? And maintaining a positive attitude? Only Sharee Jackson Wofley can do such hard things with such grace and class. I have always looked up to you! There must needs be opposition in all things. Sickness and roughness to help us more fully appreciate the good times and health. Like your awesome Mom said, You can do hard things! You've always been simply stunning and amazing.

Steph Thomas said...

Oh my goodness!! You have DEFINITELY had a hard week. That is so sad to hear all that you have been going through, but good to hear also to know, life is hard for other people too, not just a bed of roses. You are such a trooper. I HATE being in limbo. We weren't living out of suit cases but just about for three months while all of our things were in boxes in our apartment. Not fun at all! I hope things turn around for you and things get easier and better. Good luck to you.

Lacey said...

Why does everything pile on when mom is sick and the husband is out of town?! Ugg!! I'm so glad that week is over with for you! Can't wait for you to be back in the states where you can take A BIG OL BREATH!! Hang in there!

Lacey said...

Why does everything pile on when mom is sick and the husband is out of town?! Ugg!! I'm so glad that week is over with for you! Can't wait for you to be back in the states where you can take A BIG OL BREATH!! Hang in there!

shelly said...

You're amazing. Thanks for your example and the blessings will come! Thinking of you and your family.

JLH said...

Wow, what a tough week! You made it through; you're incredible! Good luck with the move!