Monday, June 24, 2013

Ruby Lous for Ruby Jane

1-DSC00553-001

I’m not sure when it all started. 

Maybe it was in 2012 when I read Ani Taylor’s winning essay from The Nie Nie Dialogue’s Motherhood Essay Contest.  I was pregnant at the time, expecting our first son.  I’ve never been able to forget Ani’s little Ruby Jane who passed away at almost 7 months old.  I remember trying to envision my unborn baby boy at 7 months old.  He’ll be 1 year old this Saturday.  The thought of losing a child evokes heartache beyond compare. 

Or maybe it was last August when I promised AnnMarie that I would learn how to sew.  She was determined to make a doll for her sister Carlie, no particular reason.  I was living alone with my 2 little girls and newborn son – my husband in a foreign country.  I remember thinking that life was pretty hard for me back then…but I had a new sewing machine, and I had a promise to keep. 

The first doll pattern I found was The Ruby Lou Doll Pattern by Abby at Sew-Much-Ado.  I loved it.  AnnMarie loved it.  I didn’t think my beginning sewing skills were cut out for it, but love at first sight stirred powerful motivation. :) 

1-DSC00398

And then, I had an idea.  I couldn’t shake the connection between Ruby Lou and Ruby Jane…so I contacted Ani, and I contacted Abby. 

Now…I’m contacting YOU. 

Throughout the entire month of August, Abby at Sew-Much-Ado is going to donate the full profit of all Ruby Lou Doll Pattern purchases to the Ruby Jane Foundation.  Basically, this foundation is set-up to save lives.  It’s remarkable.

The best part is yet to come.  If you’d like to donate your completed Ruby Lou Doll to a little girl in need of an organ transplant, Ani has a connection with Child Life at UCLA in California.  The timing would be great before the holidays.

Simply send your Ruby Lou Doll to:

RJF
PO Box 505
Trabuco Canyon, CA 92678

But most of all, love the littles in your life a little more than you did before.  Forget the to-do lists and be present.  We never know when the moments we share with our loved ones will be our last. 

1-DSC00385

(Feeling grateful for the lessons both Ani and Abby have taught me over the past year.  Sending BIG love their way…my new blogger friends.) ;)

3 comments:

Steph Thomas said...

That would be a great challenge for me for sure but what a fabulous idea. I hope I can remember this when August comes along.

JLH said...

I LOVE this. You are incredible at coming up with some very thoughtful ways to use your blog to serve. I can't guarantee my sewing skills are up to making the doll but I will certainly buy one in August and give it a shot!

Would you mind if I made a post sending people to your blog about this!?

Julie said...

Great idea! LOVE, LOVE the doll. I am going to give it a try. Good job on the sewing Sharee. I know you did not learn that skill from your Mom!! So proud of you. Love Mom