Monday, July 29, 2013

Change in a BIG way

I can’t believe that we’re sitting here at the end of July.  It’s been a whirlwind, but I think I’m finally starting to catch my breath. 

We flew into the Pacific Northwest almost a month ago.  AnnMarie went to school up until the day before we flew out.  I had to hold back the tears when I picked her up; her teachers cried a little.   

But AnnMarie’s friends didn’t cry.  They held her hand & said, “Goodbyes are not forever.  We’ll see you someday soon!” 

Then I cried a little, too. 

1-DSC00592

100_0252

1-DSC00596

I’m sure I didn’t take enough pictures, but sometimes the moment is enough.  Sometimes pictures just don’t capture the feelings that are forever ingrained in our hearts and oh-so bittersweet. 

The morning of our last day in Argentina started off with a rude awakening at 2 AM to a bunk bed covered in diarrhea.  Poor Carlie had a bug, and there wasn’t a whole lot we could do – our bags were packed and we had a plane to catch.  Suffice it to say that the following 35 hours of traveling were not easy, but we did our best to keep her comfortable…and we made it. 

1-DSC00605

But not without some help in Buenos Aires.  I love these men.

1-DSC00599

In addition, Gabe cut his first tooth on the red-eye midnight flight to Atlanta - classic.  He was pretty happy to get off the plane.

1-DSC00601

Tri-Cities greeted us with a warm welcome (112 degrees warm – yowzer).  A series of events starting in April allowed us to move right into a home that I’ve fallen in love with.  We had just enough time (1 week to be exact) for all of us to catch Carlie’s bug, move our ‘stuff’ out of storage, AND get a vehicle before we had to get Jared to SLC for his annual seminars.  Thanks to my cousin, sister-in-law, and parents, we made it happen despite the revenge of that nasty South American flu that attacked us with full force. 

We just got back from Idaho a few days ago, and wow, there’s a lot to do, but I’m taking a moment to reflect on this rollercoaster we’ve been on.  I’ll probably need a month or so to decompress – maybe a year…that sounds about right.  I think yes. 

3 comments:

Steph Thomas said...

HOLY COW!!!! How terrible!!! CRAZY for sure!!! I am glad things are settling down just a bit. That is a lot to have going on especially during such a huge transition. I cried when we left Matthew's class in December and that was just the states. You are AMAZING!!! Have I ever told you that before? I definitely think you are!!!

shelly said...

Welcome home and to the heat! Yesterday I kept saying how nice it felt to be cooled off to 90 degrees :) glad you are feeling better, too!

Julie said...

What a journey! So nice to have you home and catch up on lost time. Those memories will last forever. Can't wait to have you and your family around again. Thanks for sharing the last two weeks with us!
Love ya