Saturday, January 25, 2014

I’m Right Behind You

Carlie made it back from Idaho yesterday, and it’s been so nice to have her home.  This was the first time she’d been away from me, and I think it was good for both of us.  I was able to better recognize what I love about Carlie.  She brightens up our home with her funny personality and her thoughtful stories.  She has a way of cracking us up!  I love her so much!

She’s been fighting a cold all week long; I feel bad that she was sick on her vacation, but regardless, I know she had a great time. 

Carlie has been taking a weekly gymnastics class, and this morning, there was a Gymfest in which the participants did an obstacle course demonstrating certain skills they’ve learned in class.  I didn’t want to push it, but since there were personalized trophies involved, we decided to take her.  When we got there, we quickly realized that it was going to be a bigger obstacle course than we thought it would be, and honestly, Carlie was not feeling good at all by this point. 

AnnMarie suggested that she follow and encourage Carlie the whole way.  We all agreed it was a great idea.  With every obstacle AnnMarie would say, “I’m right behind you Carlie!”  It was touching to see the love they had for each other in that instance.    

1-DSC_0062

At the end, when Carlie stood on the podium to receive her trophy, she told the photographer that she wanted her sister, AnnMarie, to be in the picture.  I think this photo captures just how proud AnnMarie was of Carlie.  She was not expecting to be in the picture.  AnnMarie was completely content to let Carlie shine.  She was genuinely so happy for her sister, and I felt lucky to be there with them in that moment. 

1-DSC_0074

I hope that when the real obstacles of life come their way, they’ll continue to be each other’s biggest fans, and that they’ll lovingly be able to say, “I’m right behind you.”      

4 comments:

Julie said...

That is so cool. They will be best friends for life! Way to go Carlie!

Sister Brittster said...

What a sweet story. I'm sure that sweet little Carlie will remember her sister's willingness to follow behind her and help her for the rest of her life. Its amazing how the love of a sibling can perfectly exemplify the love of our Savior. Thanks for sharing.

shelly said...

This is so sweet! We'll have to try out the Gymfest next year. What a great picture to capture the moment =)

Steph Thomas said...

That is so sweet and touching. I love witnessing that sibling love.