Monday, June 29, 2015

Cambodia

Recently my mom has been exploring the world through Discovery Expeditions & Adventures.  
 
The way in which these opportunities have come about is quite a story in and of itself, but regardless, I’ve been wanting to document a few bits and pieces of her travels.  My children are intrigued with her adventures, and it’s been neat for all of us to see more of the world through her experiences.  
 
Her first trip encompassed about two weeks in March, and the countries she explored included Vietnam, Cambodia, Loas, Myanmar, and Thailand.  I’ll start with Cambodia because I know it was her favorite country on this trip.
 
In her own words she said, 

"Cambodia is located in the southern portion of the Indochina Peninsula of Southeast Asia.  We explored magnificent ancient temples in the jungles of Cambodia.  There are more than 1,000 ancient temples in this country.  Lots of hiking and climbing ancient stairs.  

DSC01625

Here we visited one of the World's Seven Wonders, The Temple of Angkor Wat.  We watched the sunrise come up over this spectacular temple. 

DSC01608

We also Visited Phnom Penh City.  I was touched by another tragic event in history,  The Killing Fields, where more than a million people were killed and buried by the Communist Khmer Rouge Regime from 1975-1979, my high school years.

The poverty here was overwhelming at times.  The people were so humble and kind.  I met a beautiful girl that insisted on massaging my tired feet after a day of hiking in the jungle.  She made $70.00 a month.  I gave her a $20.00 tip that made her sob. 

DSC01657

The rice farming was fascinating...

DSC01722

along with the water buffalo on the side of the roads.

DSC01755

I loved watching them make palm sugar in the villages."

DSC01749

Here are a few more of her favorites.  I personally love the one of her with the two little Cambodian girls.  

DSC01632

DSC01672

DSC01664

DSC01690

I’m pleased to know that not all taxi cab drivers are as intense as the ones in NYC.  The thrill of riding a taxi around Manhattan is probably pretty comparable to riding this rig around Cambodia though, haha!

Looks thrilled, doesn’t he?

1 comment:

Julie said...

Sharee - I'm so happy I have a beautiful daughter that likes my adventures.
It was a thrill for me to see those pictures again and read about my visits. I'm looking forward to the day we can go together.