Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Remembering December

  Well, December was a busy month to say the least!  After Christmas I made the conscious decision to plan for a more peaceful December in 2016.  Sigh.  :)  The opportunities were splendid - and I wouldn’t trade them - but I dare say there was too much busy-ness leading up to the sacred celebration of Christ’s birth.  On and on we go - learning to balance opportunity with plenty of peace in between.       

  I was involved in our Stake Relief Society Christmas Choir (under the direction of Rachel Mohlman & Marianne Larsen - two very talented women).  I am so very fortunate to be in the same stake as them!  It’s inspiring to me that they so freely give of their time and talents year after year to make this happen.  Weekly rehearsals ran from September thru December culminating in a weekend of two performances.  I had the opportunity to play the piano for one of the songs that was sung with the Stake Children’s Choir that AnnMarie was in.  Our Sunday fireside was packed - standing room only - with people all the way back to the stage in our stake center.  All of our music had to be memorized in order to participate which required significant effort on everyone’s part, but it was truly a magnificent experience.      

1676086442660846

IMG 1337

  We got a little snow here and there which was an absolute thrill for Gabe & the girls.  

IMG 1330

I made sugar cookies for Carlie’s classroom Christmas party.  Oh, it was sure fun to help out with that!  I love 1st graders.  

IMG 1346

DSC01914

  As I’ve mentioned before, AnnMarie was involved in the Mid-Columbia Ballet’s annual production of The Nutcracker, and 2015 marked the 40th Anniversary of this event.  Jared’s parents, my grandparents, my mom, & my sister-in-law Emmy all came up to stay with us for the occasion.  It was nothing shy of a professional production, and there is so much I’d like to say about it, but I’ll spare you the details and the lessons we learned. :)  The week leading up to their performances was absolutely intense & exhausting, but wow, what an experience!  The attention to detail surrounding make-up, hair, costumes, volunteer coordination, & logistics was just incredible.          

DSC01905

  Cousin Max & Aunt Katie were able to come, too!  AnnMarie was so excited to see them!  We’ve missed them ever since they moved to Boise last fall.  Use of photography backstage and during performances was completely prohibited, so I had to order a picture of her in costume on stage via the hired photographer.  I’ll have to share it when I get it…hopefully soon. :)      

12362902 10153690839641335 4406228364557951537 o

  Luke’s 1st Birthday was on the day of AnnMarie's final performances.  Phew.  Poor little guy didn’t get much of a party other than, “Yay!  My life is finally back to normal!”  I took this picture just for fun...and then he seriously took his first steps!!  What are the odds?!!  On his 1st birthday, too!  So of course I started screaming like a crazy person and captured the moment, haha!!

DSC01911

DSC01912

  I didn’t take very many pictures this year, but Christmas Eve was spent together as a family.  We had our traditional humble feast of soup & bread along with a special Christmas story prior to the meal.  The kids sprinkled reindeer food on the front lawn, set Christmas cookies & Pepsi out for Santa, and all slept together in the same room.  It was simple…which was nice.  Jared & I both grew up with lots of extended family surrounding us at nearly every special occasion & holiday, and there are times when I really yearn for my own kids to have those same experiences, but I’m trying to soak it all up and enjoy it for what it is.  Each family unit is so different & unique in its own way with regard to the experiences they’re met with, but be it known that I’m so grateful for my crew and the memories we’re making together.  

DSC01918

DSC01922

1 comment:

JLH said...

You have such a beautiful family! Kudus to you for handling a ballet show in the midst of the Christmas season. That's a lot of work!