Saturday, October 3, 2015

that week in July when my entire family was here

I know summer is over, but I wanted to share a few more photos from that week in July when my whole family was here...grandparents and in-laws, too.  AnnMarie’s baptism was right in the middle of it, but there were many other things happening surrounding her big day. 

We had the annual Wolfley Family Reunion (which started about four years ago or so) since the majority of us would be here anyway!  My mother-in-law had these cute yellow shirts made for all the grandkids that said, “Happiness is a 2015 Wolfley Family Reunion.”   Jared and I put together a schedule of events (starting on a Friday evening thru the following Wednesday morning) comprising meal organization (to designate location and the couple in charge) and daily activities.  We were in charge of the Friday night barbecue that we held at our community park, and wow, let me just say that it turned out to be one of the windiest nights I’ve ever experienced!  I was a little disappointed about that, but it made for some good memories.  

My father-in-law was in charge of the main activities - boating, tubing, and water skiing - that we enjoyed on Monday and Tuesday.  We had a special Family Home Evening on Tuesday night which is where I took these pictures.  Once again, my mother-in-law knocked it out of the ballpark with the games she prepared.  She had marshmallow shooters made out of PVC pipe, Giant Jenga, and a ball toss using a tarp with holes and specified points just to name a few out of about 15 that we didn’t have time for!  She takes games very seriously.  Notice the megaphone, haha!

IMG 1020   IMG 1016

IMG 1013

IMG 1010

DSC01762

DSC01779

We had a special lesson on happiness and the importance of laughing.  Here’s my mother & father-in-law showing us how to laugh!  

DSC01754

Here’s our reaction:

DSC01756

LOL!  Just kidding.  Those two pictures back-to-back gave me a good laugh.

After the Saturday baptism we took some much needed down time and headed off to the Hermiston Aquatic Center.  I took this picture of my mom and her dad (Grandpa Rex).  I love this picture for so many reasons: the Diet Coke, the churro, the hat (one of my dad’s), Luke chewing on a napkin.      

Since my dad’s passing, Grandpa has become even more of a hero in my eyes.  I imagine it’s very difficult for any father to see his daughter become a widow.  Often times my mom will discover him outside in her yard, trimming trees on a high ladder or pruning bushes in the early morning hours. 

DSC01705

His wife, my Grandma Elaine, brought me this beautiful flower chain quilt that she’s been working on for the past three years…complete with pillows and shams.  She has been doing this for all of her granddaughters and granddaughters-in-law over the past ten years!  What a treasure.  She's truly a pro in my eyes...and she started quilting when she was 70!  A few weeks later I boxed it up and mailed it back to her in order for her to enter it in the quilt contest at the Eastern Idaho State Fair, and no kidding - she ended up winning 1st Place in the large quilt category!  I cried a few happy tears on the phone when she told me.  The bottom hem is quilted to represent music notes.   

DSC01711

DSC01713

My dear friend, Stacey, calligraphed and framed this statement for me as a gift and sent it to me around the year mark of my dad’s passing.  Stacey has lifted me to higher ground with her consistent outreach.  We have been friends for over 25 years, and her character continues to shine through.  Our enduring friendship, along with that of her twin sister, Michelle, means a great deal to me!  The feeling they give me (as do many of you) that we are all in this together has been Heaven’s gentle reminder that “Thy friends do stand by thee, and they shall hail thee again with warm hearts and friendly hands” (D&C 121:9).  

Thank you, all of you, for believing in me and supporting me and just being here.  

IMG 1038

 

3 comments:

JLH said...

That quilt is INCREDIBLE!!! How amazing that she made that for you. What a treasure and, one day, heirloom to have.

Stacey said...

Aww Sharee...how I love you my friend. So glad you were able to have some wonderful time with family.

Julie said...

This post made me cry again! Families Are Forever Sharee. Love you, Mom