We've had a wonderful weekend reflecting on our Savior, Jesus Christ. My testimony of Him has changed over the years, but He has been an important part of my life since childhood.
When I was young, like most of you -- nearly everything associated with Christmas was magical and somewhat of a precious ritual. My parents did a wonderful job of making it very abundant for us, and although I’m sure some years were harder than others, I have beautiful childhood memories surrounding Christmastime.
To me, as a child, Christ was the Son of God, a newborn babe who came into the world, and I sensed that we had been Wonderful Friends...and that we could continue to be friends throughout my life.
In my teen years, I continued to embrace the Spirit of Christmas – loving the season with a passion for its joy that came from giving and receiving! Being a musician, I started playing Christmas carols on the piano in November and didn’t let up until January.
I helped my mom wrap gifts weeks in advance and delighted in seeing them spill out from underneath the tree. Christmas Eve was spent at home – singing and reading together – learning more about Christ and discussing His birth...and His life.
To me, as a teen, Christ was an extension of our family – like a Brother perhaps, and a great Teacher with new lessons to be learned each year.
In the early years of our marriage, the splendor and magic of Christmas began to fade a bit. Living hundreds of miles away from our families, I often insisted that we drove many long miles through white-knuckled storms in order to be “home for Christmas” and relive the traditions I once knew.
With time, however, we began to settle into our own approach – cherishing each other more and valuing the opportunity it was to focus on our own unit.
To me, as a young wife and mother, Christ became my Rock, my Foundation for establishing the unique traditions that we wanted for our future.
About three years ago, and for the first time in my life, I experienced a Christmas season that brought about a meaningful change in me.
It was only about two weeks away from Christmas Day. Dad had passed away that summer, I was overdue with our fourth child, and I was being treated for pneumonia. Desensitized by the season, I became aware of a universal sorrow at Christmastime among others – those grieving for lost loved-ones, those hungering for lost opportunities, those suffering from illness and pain, and those yearning for home.
This was also the Christmas when I first began to appreciate Joseph and Mary. I had truly felt the frustration of “no room!” after being turned away by the hospital a few times the week of my due date.
At one point, however, I was led to the scriptures. I read Nephi’s sorrowful prayer as the faithful watched for the sign of the Savior’s birth, while being taunted and threatened by the faithless.
The Lord answered him saying, “Lift up your head and be of good cheer; for behold, the time is at hand, and on this night shall the sign be given, and on the morrow come I into the world.”
I was internalizing the reason for His coming, and the reason why Christmas means what it does to us. The Savior himself announced 33-yrs. later in the quiet stillness following broad destruction: “Behold, I have come unto the world to bring redemption unto the world, to save the world from sin.”
To me, in my time of despair, I came to know Christ as my Savior and Redeemer.
Every Christmas since then has been a celebration of Christ - not just as a newborn babe - but of Him as a Friend, Brother, Teacher, Counselor, Rock, and Redeemer. I pray that despite my constant failings, my daily efforts will be a testament of His influence in my life. I am overwhelmed to consider that a King of Kings knows me, personally.
I honor Him this day! Merry Christmas!
3 comments:
Beautiful words, Sharee. Thank you for sharing your testimony of our brother and Savior. How lucky are we to have the knowledge we do of the Plan of Salvation and the peace and comfort it brings to us. It's interesting how the meaning and feelings of Christmas change as we get older and how personal experiences shape how we view holidays. I hope you guys had a Merry Christmas. Love and miss you~
You have always had such a strong testimony Sharee. I love to read your inspired words. Thank you for this beautiful reminder, and for always being my "rock" in life. You are a blessing to so many.
I love this! Thank you for sharing.
Post a Comment