Thursday, December 21, 2017

moments I want to remember (from september)

First of all, can I just get a big "Wow!" that Christmas is right around the corner?!?! So much has happened over the past few months, and the only thing I can really tell myself to provide some measure of encouragement in the documenting department is simply, "Slow and steady wins the race."

Moving can be so emotionally draining, but oh, how we've grown to love the many great things Utah has to offer! Every month we seem to discover another great reason as to why we're here.

The kids have been adjusting so well to their new school! One thing about it, we have always been so well-taken care of when it comes to teachers! They love their classroom environments thus far.

Years ago, and a few years before AnnMarie was even old enough to go to school, I came across an article in The Deseret News entitled, "Why Schools and the World Need our Children." I loved it so much that I immediately cut it out and saved it in a file that I refer to as needed (like when our family moves, haha!).

It described how daunting it can be to send your child into a stream of kids at a new school! It went on to say that 'Part of you wants to hold them back because they might not be the best swimmers in this type of sea.' The article summarized three succinct reasons we should send our kids into the chaos of our untidy and imperfect public schools: 1.) The world needs our kids. 2.) Teaching moments come from opposition, and 3.) Good missionaries get out.

Similar to the author, I still have the same misgivings at times: Are they keeping their heads above water? Will they lose their footing? Will they be able to hear my voice in a crowd of constant noise?

So far, the answer has been YES.



Utah has a plethora of delicious fruit and produce this time of year! I canned Elberta Peaches and freezer-packed raspberries with my girls. Later, I drove to Kamas, Utah mid-month to spend the day with one of my best friends, Stacey. Kamas is such a charming little community! We had a wonderful afternoon letting our youngsters play together while we chatted and canned applesauce.



The girls and I had a memorable night at the General Women's Session in SLC on Saturday, September 23rd. Jared drove us to the Conference Center, but we decided to take the FrontRunner Utah transit home just for fun! We ended up missing our connection in North Salt Lake by about 9 minutes...which meant that we had to sit in the rain for nearly an hour, haha! Poor Carlie didn't have her coat, so I wrapped her inside of me, but she was definitely shaking from the cold! It made for some silly conversations, fun mind games, and extra delicious hot chocolate w/marshmallows when we got home.



I finished another semester of school last week which feels AMAZING!! I drove to Pingree at the end of the month and spent time with my grandparents in order to interview them for a research paper/project for my Audiologic Rehabilitation class. Their ability to reach out past pride and fear of failure closes the space between generations.

Grandma reminded me to NEVER be afraid of growing old, and that even though I'll end up doing crazy things, creativity does not diminish with age. Grandpa told me to ALWAYS find purpose at any age by being useful for another -- through complimenting, encouraging, and serving our fellowmen daily. #silverhair #goldenhearts


1 comment:

Julie said...

Bloom where you are planted. That is what you have always done. The world is better place because of you and your amazing attitude. I loved reading this!