Monday, July 6, 2015

Pie on the Fourth of July

Last week I invited Ethel Ferger, a lady from my ward (local congregation), over to my house to teach me how to make her delicious strawberry pie, crust and all.  

Over the years I haven’t always been blessed to be surrounded by family, but the good women of the Relief Society have come to my rescue and strengthened me time and again.  They've taken care of me when I've had my babies - bringing meals in, throwing baby showers, tending older children.  They’ve called on me to share my talents - allowing me to feel useful and appreciated.  And more recently, they’ve looked after me since my dad passed away - assuring me that I am not alone.  

I am grateful for this organized sisterhood that continues to buoy me up and teach me new skills…so that I can enjoy simple pleasures like a fresh pie on the 4th of July!

DSC 1850

DSC 1845

DSC 1852

11707822 10205125548112403 7224107020495944630 n

IMG 0995

IMG 0997

Ethel’s Strawberry Glaze Pie:

  • 1 qt. strawberries
  • 3/4 c. water
  • 2 T. cornstarch
  • 3/4 c. sugar
  • 1/4 t. salt
  • Few drops red food coloring
  • 1 baked 9” pie shell (this was the main reason right here that I had Ethel come over.  One day I’ll have to put together a tutorial on her hands-free pie crust recipe.  Amazing.)
  • whipped cream

Crush 1 cup red ripe strawberries, add water and bring to boil.  Simmer 3 minutes.  Strain.  Add water if necessary to make 1 cup liquid.  Combine cornstarch, sugar, and salt and add to liquid.  Stir until smooth.  Bring to a boil and stir constantly until mixture thickens.  Cool and add red food coloring.  Place remaining whole strawberries in baked pie shell.  Pour the glaze over the berries.  Top the pie with whipped cream.

A few of my friends came over, too, which was so much fun; it was like a baking class right in my very own kitchen!  And boy, was it awesome to watch Ethel whip up the ingredients like nobody’s business without exact measurements.  She was teasing me about being so precise.  Luckily, I had my new measuring spoons that I purchased for this very occasion labeled pinch, smidgen, dash, tad, etc. just so I could keep up with her...like I knew exactly what she was talking about, haha!  We had a great time and I really hope to have Ethel over again soon.  I think everyone could use a little more Ethel in their life. :)  

2 comments:

Julie said...

I absolutely LOVE this post! My testimony of the Relief Society had grown so much. Looks delicious!

Julie said...

Would Ethel come to Pingree? lol