Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Our Missionary Friends

DSC07195 

I am grateful this time of year for the many missionaries surrounding us.  We love to visit Elder & Sister Flinder in Kilgrumen (about 40 miles away).  The girls call Sister Flinder “Grandma Ann.” 

Yes, Thanksgiving has come & gone, but I love the spirit of gratitude it evokes leading up to Christmas.  We held a Thanksgiving feast in our apartment with the sister missionaries & a family from our branch.   It was a lot of work, but I am so glad we celebrated Thanksgiving.  I was so tempted not to (gasp), but it was well well worth it.  The gravy was interesting, the whip cream…even more so, but the company made our apartment home…and the mashed potatoes & pumpkin pie turned out awesome!

DSC07168

DSC07171

DSC07166

For some reason, just before we were about to serve the meal, I felt like I was a little girl again…at my Grandma’s house…waiting for the feast to start.  It was delightful & reminiscent. 

  So like the Grinch who stole Christmas, I too couldn’t stop Thanksgiving from coming - it came.  “Somehow or another, it came just the same.”

3 comments:

Julie Jackson said...

Good job Sharee!! Way to do Thanksgiving Dinner. I noticed the favors by the plates - Our Family Tradition (just one among many). How fun and what a blessing you are to so many. Love ya, Mom

kguiness said...

Looks fun! Gotta carry on your American traditions in your far away home:) Hope next year you can host my nephew:)!

Marcie said...

I'm sure the sister missionaries appreciated a home-cooked Thanksgiving feast. Way to go! I made Thanksgiving for 2 years while we were in Seattle and I also learned that it is A LOT of work, especially for just a few people. But well worth it in the end. :)