Sunday, January 24, 2016

On Being Unselfish

I came upon these quotes this morning that I want to hold on to forever.  Our Savior gave Himself to unselfish service; I want nothing more than to be like Him.  I pray that my husband & I can always be wise in our decisions - in order that we may lose ourselves in the unselfish service of others and build the Kingdom of God on earth!  It isn’t always easy to give up our personal desires or dreams when called to His work, but from my experience - at the end of the day - it’s impossible to feel peace & sincere happiness in the pursuit of personal gain.      

"We live in a time when sacrifice is definitely out of fashion, when the outside forces that taught our ancestors the need for unselfish cooperative service have diminished.  Someone has called this the “me” generation—a selfish time when everyone seems to be asking, what’s in it for me?  Even some who should know better seem to be straining to win the praise of those who mock and scoff from the “great and spacious building” identified in vision as the pride of the world.” - Elder Dallin H. Oaks

"People that know they are important, think about others.  People that think they are important, think about themselves.” - Hans F. Hansen

Selfish persons are incapable of loving others, but they are not capable of loving themselves either.” - Erich Fromm

"Selfish people often mistake selfishness for strength.  It takes no talent, no intelligence, no self-control, and no effort to sacrifice other people for your ego.”  - Anonymous

No comments: