Tuesday, October 11, 2011

I Met My Neighbor

 

walter herrmann[1]

We had a power outage over the weekend.

(Power outages in general always make for interesting stories, right?)

We live on the 2nd floor of a 15-story apartment building.  The day after our water heater got fixed, (hooray for hot water!)…our power shut down, and since it was a holiday weekend (Columbus Day is big around here, who knew?) we knew we’d be very lucky to find any help. 

Well, to make a long story short, we did find help, & in the process, Jared met our neighbor, Walter Hermann, former NBA player.  So cool!  I ran into him the week before a few times which is bizarre in & of itself.  We knew he lived in our building, but we didn’t realize that he lived directly below us.  That’s right, he hears everything we do…everything.  (He told Jared that he knew we lived above him.  I’m not sure how to interpret that.  Are we Americans a novelty, too?!  Wait, we’re probably just really loud & annoying.  Carlie has a scream that’ll knock your socks off – or make you go deaf, one of the two).  Him & his wife have two little girls the same ages as ours, so is a play-date in order?  I’m trying to figure out how to initiate something like that without coming across like I’m stalking him.  The fact that I posted his picture on my blog might be stalking already though…

He is a huge celebrity here in Argentina which makes things a little interesting every now & then.  Our reserved parking spot (where lies our light blue minivan), is right next to his smoking black jaguar.  My only hope is that I won’t dent it.  Oh, that would be very very bad.  (Good thing we have sliding doors).

Our power is not completely fixed.  In fact, it’s gone out 3 times in the course of doing this post.  So be it.  I just hope to experience another hot shower soon.  I’ll trade our dining room light, bedroom light, & freezer for hot water, I think.  Candle light dinner anyone?

7 comments:

shelly said...

That's the most random thing I've ever heard! Eric will be so impressed =)

Steph Thomas said...

So if he is such a superstar why is he in an apartment? Wouldn't he have a house or do people not live in houses around there? OR you guys live in a fancy shmancy apartment complex, much nicer then ours. What are the odds. I am sure our neighbors hate us. Why tried to be considerate when we first moved in but listening to their loud music and movies, we don't care anymore, as well as having to close our doors or windows when they want to smoke. SO gross! That is a pretty odd coincidence.

Julie Jackson said...

YES!! I am up for a candle light dinner with all of you, Walter included!

I love you, Mom

Michelle said...

Oh, Sharee! I look forward to your posts! I know I very rarely saw you when you lived in the states, but now that you're on another continent, I just miss you! I love hearing about your adventures! How fun that you have a celebrity neighbor!:) Love you!

Lacey said...

How funny! I live your stories. Keep em coming!!

Kyster J. said...

Howdy doo, Hope things are going good. do you love the power outages? I bet. I have really enjoyed the pictures. How funny. I love argentina. Go blue and white. Walter Herrmann is an insane player, you should watch some of his nba highlight films. Hope you are enjoying. Do you have the yerba mate thing down yet? Its gotta be dulce or it can be unbearable. Get the light Rosamonte, it is the most suavecito.Love kYle

rkkorth said...

I am chuckling..this is too funny!