Thursday, January 19, 2012

Welcome Home Wedding Style

DSC07712

Last weekend our family had a celebration dinner in honor of Nathan’s return.  We met in an old family cabin near my mom & dad’s house.  There were  a lot of people there (like 160 people a lot).  My mom found a very talented girl who made this cake.  Can you believe it?!  And so as Nathan announced, we celebrated this party wedding style.

I love how happy my dad & grandpa are as Nathan cuts the cake.

DSC07721

In one corner of the world there are dozens & dozens of my own family members who look a little like me, talk a little like me, & even think a little like me - imagine that;).  In another corner of the world, I’m a foreigner surrounded by people who look, talk, & think nothing like me. 

Sometimes it’s easy to get caught up in all of our differences with others.  Sometimes it seems as though our differences are the only things we even notice in others, including our own family members. 

But this party – this celebration – was a reminder to me of how silly it is to focus on those differences.  We’re all so similar, really. Especially if we live in the same country, let alone the same community. Most people are just trying to figure life out like you & me, even if they do speak a different language.

Anyway, here’s to you Nathan!!  One…last…hoorah! 

2012 pictures

1 comment:

Malory Jensen said...

Wow! That cake is way cool! So fun you got to come and celebrate with your family! I am sure they miss you when your gone!!