Tuesday, January 24, 2012

When I Grow Old

Last week my Grandpa Jackson asked my Dad & I to help him put on a music program at a Senior Citizen’s Home in Aberdeen, a little town close by.   This wasn’t uncommon.  Ever since I was a little girl, I’ve been performing with my Grandpa & Dad at different functions.  Nothing flashy at all – places like funerals, wedding receptions, nursing homes…

The program was last night, & I convinced AnnMarie to perform her first solo ever.  She sang her favorite Primary Children’s Song, “Families Can Be Together Forever.”  She was so nervous, but she went through with it.  I’m so sad I didn’t take a picture; blame it on my pregnant self. 

I told a story about a woman named Rose who went to college at the ripe old age of 87 because she had always dreamed of getting a college education.  She became a campus icon.  Everyone knew & admired Rose.  One week after graduating, Rose died peacefully in her sleep.  After telling the story of Rose, I sang the love song, “The Rose.”

One day, I’ll grow old; we all will.  Anybody can grow older.  I guess the idea is to grow up.  Rose taught us that we grow up by finding opportunity in change.  It’s never too late to be who you were meant to be.

I thought about this as I watched (& listened) to this (before the program):

DSC07732

My Grandpa didn’t start playing the harmonica until his 50s.  I personally think he’s a pro :).

And then I saw this:

DSC07736

My Dad’s mom & dad listening to their son play away for nearly 30 minutes – the sweetest thing ever

So basically, when I grow old, I hope I’m still passionate in following dreams & doing what I love, AND I hope I’ll have a child who can serenade me with beautiful music whenever I want ;).

5 comments:

shelly said...

That is an awesome picture. After many years of hearing "play quieter" from siblings as I practiced piano, one moment has always stood out-my oldest brother once actually requested a song and sat and listened a while. That is always the nicest thing =)

Katie said...

Oh, I wish you would have recorded AnnMarie singing. I would have loved to hear that. What fun memories she will have singing with her Grandpa Jackson.

Marcie said...

I just love your grandparents. They are the sweetest people. I always loved hearing your Grandpa play the harmonica at ward functions... and I agree, he is amazing! What a musically talented family you have.

baratone4 said...

oh my goodness just thinking off sweet little anne marie singing that song brings tears to my eyes.

Malory Jensen said...

I love your grandparents! I love how happy they look as they are listen to your dad play, as they sit on opposite ends of the couch (too cute)!