Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Bahamas

On the second day of our cruise - back in February - we took an excursion through the island of Nassau which is part of the Bahamas.  We took a bus tour of the island’s capitol and stopped at a zoo.  I don’t really know what to say about the Bahamas…at least the part we saw.  For some reason, I’ve always thought of the Bahamas as a developed picturesque beach heaven, & I’m sure there are many parts that are - given the fact that the Bahamas is made up of nearly 700 islands, but wow - there’s actually quite a bit of poverty in Nassau.  It’s not seen as much in the tourist areas where we spent most of our time, but it was still a little shocking to see glimpses of poverty in the caribbean - I didn’t expect that.

We saw a black swan at the zoo which was amazing.  I’ve never seen one before, and I found myself contemplating the impact of the highly improbable.

(There’s a book out called The Black Swan: the impact of the highly improbable.  It’s possible that only an economist’s wife would know that.)

DSC01024

DSC01036

DSC01013

My face is cracking me up! ^^^^^

DSC01034

My niece was having way too much fun posing like a flamingo.^^^^^

DSC01043

We didn’t spend a lot of time on the island, but I was grateful for the chance we had to see a new country & once again, see the world with new eyes.  I’m okay with not visiting the Bahamas anytime soon, but I will say, the people have a distinct personality - are generally happy, full of faith, & good humored - something I’ll remember for sure.  ;) 

3 comments:

Stacy Jackson said...

I've never seen a black swan. How cool was that to see that picture! The whole cruise looked like a blast! Glad you could go.

Steph Thomas said...

You are just the world traveler. Some day I want to go on a cruise.

Steph Thomas said...

You are just the world traveler. Some day I want to go on a cruise.